Tuesday 21 October 2008

Handbrake

The last days I have been working on the handbrake. I have given it many thoughts where to place the handle and how to have it pull the cables. I figured it will be in the way wherever I place it (on top of the transmission tunnel), so then I can better use it as an arm-rest for the longer trips.


The system does need a balance bar to equal the forces on both cables. Not to forget an adjustment system. The cables (Austin Allegro rear handbrake cables, part no. BC805) have approx 15mm thread on the end of the outer cable, which would give about 5mm of adjustment. Therefore I have made a new adjuster / balance bar. Total adjustment travel is approx 45mm.

All the items still need to be painted. I will put plastic bolts through the bigger part of the slotted holes, where the nipple of the inner cable is held, so the inner cable cannot come loose.



Bracket holding the outer cable. M10 nuts welded onto a piece of angle iron.















Handbrake system in situ.















A point of concern is the routing of the handbrake cable. In ride height it runs free. However with both wheels in full bump the cables interfere with the differential. I will leave this problem to be solved later on. I am thinking of som clips holding the cables. On the other hand: it will only be ocasionally that both wheels reach full bump. With one wheel in ride height and one wheel in full bump there is no interference.

This picture shows routing, with the axle in ride height.




Both wheels full bump!















Again, but with (improvised :) clip to hold the cables.

No comments: